Over 35 Years of Experience
If you have been charged with drunk driving or operating a motor vehicle under the influence, you want an experienced attorney to protect your rights. The consequences of a conviction can be significant, including the loss of your driving privileges, substantial fines, increased auto insurance premiums and even jail time. You want a lawyer who has successfully helped others in similar situations.
Attorney Peter G. DeGelleke has extensive experience protecting the rights of people who have been charged with driving under the influence. He built his successful practice on a commitment to a high level of personal service and strong representation. When you hire attorney DeGelleke to handle your case, he will provide you with the time and attention you deserve from your attorney. Complete an online contact form or call 781-275-0800 to set up a free initial consultation.
Dedicated Defense Against All Drunk Driving Related Charges
Attorney DeGelleke handles all matters related to charges of driving under the influence, driving while intoxicated or operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs, from the administrative proceeding regarding the suspension or revocation of your license to the criminal proceeding to determine guilt or punishment. His goal will always be to minimize the impact on you. Driving record and insurance rates are important considerations that some clients overlook when deciding whether to simply plead guilty or fight the charges. When appropriate, attorney DeGelleke can help you seek a hardship license while your case is pending.
Providing You With the Strongest Possible Defense
When attorney DeGelleke takes a DUI/DWI/OUI case, he carefully examines all the facts and evidence surrounding the arrest to determine whether any constitutional rights were violated. He will review the police report and question any witnesses to confirm that there was probable cause to make the traffic stop and that you were properly advised of your rights before you were subjected to questioning.
Attorney DeGelleke will also verify that field sobriety and blood alcohol or Breathalyzer tests were correctly administered. He is well-acquainted with Melanie's Law, enacted a few years ago, which overhauled the drunk driving laws in Massachusetts, leading to an increase in license suspensions and other penalties.
Attorney DeGelleke also handles other alcohol-related charges that often come with a DUI/DWI/OUI charge, including minors in possession. He works with underage defendants, helping them minimize the consequences of athletic eligibility and graduation.
What You Should Expect in an OUI Consultation:
- No charge for the initial consultation
- A detailed analysis of your case (very comprehensive if you have a copy of the police report)
- A clear and detailed explanation of your options and the cost for each
- An honest risk/benefit assessment of fighting the case
- A thorough understanding of the cost of defending you
These Are Your Options in Court:
- To fight the case and to demand a full trial in front of a judge and a jury or a judge alone (the choice of a forum is a very important decision to be made only after careful reflection)
- To demand information to explore potential weaknesses in the prosecution's case, a process which is called "discovery" (examples: maintenance/repair history of the breath testing device; documentation showing proper state certification of the machine and operation; copies of any audio/video recordings of the arrest scene or booking)
- To try to "make a deal" to settle the case; for a first offense, this involves admitting that the prosecution has enough evidence that a jury might convict you. The most lenient disposition that is possible: agreeing to attend the Alcohol Education Program and being put on probation with a loss of license and court costs of roughly $2,000. You would also pay more for your automobile insurance for several years. An effort should be made to convince the judge to enter a "continuance without a finding" rather than a guilty finding.
Other Decisions You Will Need to Make
- Whether it is advisable to hire an investigator to locate and interview potential witnesses
- Whether it is advisable to hire an expert on breath testing devices to examine the machine and its maintenance history, or to testify regarding factors which may have made the result inaccurate
How Much Will Attorney DeGelleke Charge to Handle the Case?
The cost varies greatly depending on such factors as the exact nature of the circumstances of the arrest, the court where the case is pending, what needs to be done, and how you decide the case should be defended (jury trial, bench trial, plea). The subject will be thoroughly discussed during the
initial consultation, for which there is no charge.
Contact a Bedford-Concord Defense Lawyer
To schedule a free initial consultation, complete an online contact form or call the office at 781-275-0800.